Posted May 5
Headquarters: 100% Remote
MeetEdgar is boostrapped, profitable, and growing! We’re looking for an experienced accounting pro to join our Ops team and help us manage all things money - we’re talkin’ forecasting, strategic planning, monthly reports, bookkeeping, the works!
This is a remote, contract role - we're hoping to establish a long-term relationship with the right person who is excited about getting to know the ins and outs of a fast-growing software SaaS and is looking to grow with us.
You love working with small, self-sufficient businesses like ours, but you’re not looking for just another routine client to plug into your fancy schmancy bookkeeping template. You’re looking for a business that you can actually be a part of - a place where you have serious input into how we manage our money and which behaviors we can (and should) change to keep us as financially healthy as possible.
Naturally, that means this isn’t your first rodeo. (Fewer clowns, for one thing.) You’ve got experience digging elbow-deep into a company’s accounting, which means you’re organized, resourceful, and able to count to at least eight or nine. When you see a hint of a problem, you aren’t afraid to ask questions or investigate. When you’re finding ways to improve a budget, you think of both short-term needs and long-term solutions and can communicate the merits of each. You anticipate how a company’s income ebbs and flows over time with all the accuracy of a Magic 8-Ball, but without needing to be shaken as hard.
Things you'll be doing:
- Creating dynamic forecasting models, so we can get better answers to all of our "what if" questions
- Meeting regularly to discuss company financial health, budgeting, and any other analysis needed by the company
- Preparing regular financial reporting, including month-end closing
- Bookkeeping - regular journal entries, reconciliation, entry adjustments, and keeping our general ledger up to date
- Overseeing company credit card accounts, employee expense reports, and popping in on invoices to/from contractors/vendors as needed (with lots of support from the rest of our Ops team)
- First point of contact for all tax, payroll, and finance related inquiries
We outsource many accounting/financial functions (you'll work with our external partners closely) and you'll have lots of support from the rest of our Ops team, but we do not have a full, in-house finance department. This means you're great at operating solo - you'll have people around you to support you and resources at your fingertips, but you'll have ownership over your own domain.
That also means you’ll have a significant amount of freedom in how you do your thing - because honestly, who knows what you need better than you? We’re a bootstrapped company, which means our financial reports are for us, and us only - so we can highlight the stuff that matters most, focus on the benchmarks that make sense for our business, and avoid getting bogged down in a bunch of metrics and trends that don’t necessarily make a big difference to our actual success.
If you want to optimize cash flow, find logical and manageable ways to accrue expenses and revenue, and mindfully, holistically manage a company’s financial needs, this is for you - if you’d rather just pick up another client, this isn’t going to be what you’re looking for.
JOB DEETS CHEAT SHEET
- This is a remote, contract role. We're expecting approximately 80-100 hours per month, including some day-to-day work that will predictably be heavier during month-end reconciliation periods
- This job is part time, but NOT entry level! We're looking for candidates with a strong finance/accounting background - SaaS experience preferred!
- We currently use Xero for accounting software and we're extremely heavy Google Sheets users - you should love these tools, too!
- MeetEdgar employs ~30 remote employees and contractors, located across the US and Canada. We use a PEO service who handles the day to day of employee payroll, compliance, and benefits
- We outsource to an external CPA for tax filing and R&D - you'll be in regular, direct communication with them for all things taxes
- We collect payments from our 6k+ paid users via Stripe (our users are on a mix of monthly and annual plans)
We’re a small team of 30-some people, all working remotely across the US & Canada. We do a lot of collaborating and meme-swapping on Slack, along with virtual team meetings and super-futuristic video calls. We also do a twice-annual retreat week where we work together on cool projects all day and rock the karaoke mic all night. (Spoiler alert: This means you have to be willing and able to travel to those retreats! The karaoke, however, is optional.)
We’re proudly bootstrapped and profitable, which means we get to turn down VC money a lot and keep doing things the way we like. We’re pretty serious about building and maintaining an awesome, positive company culture, so, you know, no jerks.
We'll probably get along if you’re someone who wants to be creative, have a pretty-serious-but-not-inhuman amount of responsibility, and work with people who make going to work not suck. (And be one of those people yourself. We like those people.)
(And on that note, we’re an equal-opportunity employer genuinely committed to building a diverse team, and to fostering the type of inclusive environment in which diversity thrives.)
Want to learn more? You can:
- Check out our employee handbook: https://goo.gl/ZCZAmL
- Preview what happens your first day on the job: https://goo.gl/Xs9hlP
- Go in-depth on the perks & benefits: https://goo.gl/5DjyyD
- You can also learn more at http://meetedgar.com/careers/ and by watching this video (please watch it, it was mad expensive): https://youtu.be/XvU3P43b0rQ
Apply for this position
Read more about the role and apply here: https://goo.gl/forms/6AUeSnEZsBkTfX0Z2 Head to MeetEdgar.com/careers for more information about the company.