Senior UI/UX Designer
Posted May 11
Headquarters: Detroit, MI
About the role
We’re looking for a designer to take a leadership role in our company, instilling a design culture in our business and setting a high bar for design across our products. You’ll have broad responsibility for UI across our current and future products.
Things you’ll do along the way:
- Design intuitive, beautiful interfaces for web and mobile
- Work with product managers to shape ideas and set direction for the company
- Work with a multidisciplinary team including another designer, user researchers, developers, and product managers to deliver the best possible experience for our customers
- Build an updated visual language for Collage.com including web, email, and advertising
- Share and revise your designs based on UX research and peer feedback
- Ensure the Collage.com Design Team is staying up-to-date on best practices and evolving with latest design trends
- This is a senior role. You have 6+ years of industry experience.
- You’ve navigated difficult trade-offs to ship stuff you’re proud of.
- Proficiency with current design tools - Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, whatever. We don’t care what you use, but you do.
- You’re driven and proactive. We’re 100% remote and small enough that everyone has a lot of responsibility. We need folks that can be do their best work in this environment.
- Focus on outcomes. A successful design isn’t something that just looks pretty - it’s something that accomplishes a goal. You don’t consider something done until you’ve seen its impact.
Nice to have
- Leadership experience. Strength in leading, mentoring, and coaching an interface and product design team - we’re growing quickly and look for folks that can step up into leadership roles.
- Ecommerce fluency
- Able to implement your designs with expert-level HTML and CSS knowledge (we use SASS, handlebars and a lot of canvas)
- A knack for words - you can tell a joke and write the copy used in your designs
- Not a jerk. Leave your ego at the door. Just kidding, this isn’t optional.
Our mission at Collage.com is to make custom products easy for everyone. We sell an expanding variety of printed products ranging from photo books and canvas prints to pillows and phone cases. We’ll sell you a blanket with your face on it if that’s what you’re into.
Collage.com is a four year old success story. Bootstrapped and still 100% employee owned, we’ve grown to over 25MM in annual revenue since 2013 and we’re still growing rapidly. We’re still scrappy, but we’re stable enough to provide benefits like a great health plan and 401K program.
We’re 100% remote. We’re pretty great at using Slack and do our best to keep folks connected with twice-annual company retreats. That said, working remote isn’t for everyone. If you haven’t worked remotely and are unsure if it’s for you, we’d be open to a contract-to-hire arrangement.
We don’t take ourselves too seriously. You’re not going to have to deal with politics or other nonsense. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
How to apply
Fill out the application linked below. It’s pretty straightforward and hopefully fun. Applications without portfolios will not be considered.
What to expect:
- If we like your portfolio, we’ll set up a call. (We’ll get back to you within a week either way.)
- Screening interview (30min - 1 hour) - you’ll speak with a senior member of the team to assess general fit and mutual interest
- A take-home assignment that isn’t asking for free work
- Several online interviews with people you’ll be working with, including our CEO