Search Software Engineer
Posted May 12
The New York Times
Headquarters: New York, NY
The New York Times search team works on an incredibly cool problem. Over our 165-year-history, we have produced an archive of nearly 16 million items and every day we add another several hundred new articles. It is The Times search team’s responsibility to provide search over this vast archive and to accurately and efficiently ingest normalize and index new content items. Our solution involves everything from data transformation to distributed systems to natural language processing. If you are an experienced search technologist and you find all this as interesting as we do, we want to hear from you!
As part of the search team team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that promotes innovation -- nestled within an established and respected institution. Inside our new midtown building, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of whiteboards, a sushi chef, and a technical staff with both a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful systems. Moreover we stand behind and respect people with a passion for tackling the hard problems, and we have the resources to do so.
We offer a highly competitive salary and an impressive array of benefits, including comprehensive health coverage, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase plan, tuition assistance, and a bonus plan.
- Leveraging the latest innovations in natural language processing, data science, machine learning and distributed systems to build out our search systems.
- Innovating solutions to the many search challenges unique to one of the web’s most popular news sources.
- Optimizing our systems for scalability, speed, high availability, minimal footprint.
- Designing the infrastructure on which our systems run.
- Collaborating with your colleagues across the company’s technology, business and newsroom departments.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years experience programming in Java or a similar language.
- Mastery of the fundamentals of software design, coupled with a deep understanding of object-oriented software and design patterns.
- Strong Unix / Linux proficiency.
Nice To Have
- A passion for information retrieval.
- Familiarity with search algorithms and data structures, basic complexity theory.
- Solid understanding of distributed, scalable web application architecture.
- Experience with tools like Lucene, Elasticsearch, Hadoop, Kafka or similar.
- Experience with DevOps, AWS, full product lifecycles, rapid prototyping, and iterative product development.
Apply for this position
If interested, send us a resume at firstname.lastname@example.org