About Fog Creek
For 17 years, Fog Creek Software has worked to be the technology company that puts people ahead of everything else. First, we created an amazing place to work and then we invented products that make work better for everyone that uses them. Now we're focused on enabling every person and every team to make thoughtful, useful software.
About the role
Fog Creek Software is looking for an experienced, unstoppable engineer with experience in both operations and development. On our team, you'll work with top-notch engineers on the infrastructure behind our SaaS applications, FogBugz and Kiln.
On the Infrastructure and Operations (Io) team, you'll help us bridge the gap between development and operations. We're adapting from separate Systems Administration and Development teams to better serve customers both internal and external. You'll help us adapt to new methodologies while dissecting and maintaining our products in their existing environment. Together, we'll build the future of Fog Creek's On Demand products.
In this position, you're able to work from anywhere—seriously. While our office is in New York City, over half of our employees are all over the US and the world. If you work at HQ, you'll be in a brand new office, carefully and thoughtfully designed to give each person both private and collaborative work spaces. And if you don't, you'll be part of a remote-first culture where all of our meetings are online and apps and tools like Slack, Trello and Google Hangouts are the normal way to communicate. Remote workers never end up struggling to hear a meeting where everybody in the office forgot that someone was on the other end of a speakerphone.
We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The range for this position is $82K to $93K and we look at factors like your experience and location to determine our offer, which comes with a comprehensive benefits package. We don't negotiate because we make our best possible offer up front—no games.
We're looking for people with:
- At least five years of computing experience, knowledge and excitement about the terrain, primarily with a Windows Server stack (Windows Server, IIS, Microsoft SQL Server, Active Directory)
- Hosted/Cloud migrations: you have experience restructuring features in applications using services available from hosted/cloud providers such as Amazon, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Incredible coding skills: your programming ability is way above average, as demonstrated by a continuous string of successful projects
- A deep understanding of the tools at an Operations engineer's disposal, and knowledge of the time and place to use each one
- Pragmatic problem solving abilities dealing with complex systems
- Comfort wearing lots of hats in a heterogeneous environment: working with web servers and databases, development tasks, hardware and software, dashboards and ssh terminals, etc. Debian/CentOS based Linux systems experience is a plus
- An excellent command of written and spoken English
That being said, on this day we'd be particularly delighted to hire someone with experience in:
- Windows Systems administration, including policy deployment and user/system management using Active Directory
- Experiences with operations in hosted/cloud environments such as Amazon, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Datacenter experience, with both virtual and bare metal hosts
We want you to know
We welcome you, as you are, to work at Fog Creek. We're removing the structural barriers and daily frustrations that too many tech companies inflict on underrepresented workers. From day one, our company has been about respecting and valuing our workers, and you’ll be supported by every level of our organization when you join our team. We support workplace diversity.
Fog Creek Software, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. If you have a disability, we're more than happy to accommodate and make the interview process better for you.