DevOps Engineer, emphasis on Scalability/Performance
Raising the Floor - US
Headquarters: Washington, DC
See more Raising the Floor - US jobs →
12 Months Contract Position
WHO WE ARE
Anytime, Anywhere, Any Computer Access. At Raising the Floor, we’re an international coalition of individuals and organizations dedicated to ensuring that the Internet, and everything available through it, is accessible to people with accessibility barriers due to disability, literacy, or age, and regardless of economic resources. Our vision is to revolutionize the landscape of assistive technology by creating an infrastructure to facilitate the development, distribution, and support of a wide range of affordable accessibility solutions around the world. That is, the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure (GPII).
You will join a team of bright and talented software developers located across continents, who are passionate about our vision, that of radically improving the access to technology. How? By developing a system that supports the “portability” of user preferences across any platform or device. You will be working in an open source development environment, from anywhere in the world and enjoying a flexible schedule.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Work with Infrastructure developers to plan microservice deployments and scalability testing on Kubernetes clusters running in the public cloud (AWS, GCE, Azure).
- Design and document a performance/scalability plan, including testing strategies and scenarios.
- Integrate performance/scalability test cases into release processes, integrate them with the GPII’s Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment systems, store results using technologies such as Elasticsearch, and provide dashboards to team members.
- Implement the instrumentation required to collect data for analysis.
- Perform data analysis to detect performance bottlenecks.
- Provide recommendations to GPII developers on how to optimize a system of microservices for performance and robustness.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking an infrastructure engineer with broad experience in development and operations, and a particular interest in performance and scalability. If this describes you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t have experience in all of the following areas and technologies:
- Modern, containerized cloud infrastructure (especially Docker and Kubernetes) including load balancing techniques, storage, networking, security, authentication, logging, monitoring, etc.
- Designing and writing performance test plans.
- Open source performance testing tools (Gatling, JMeter, Tsung, etc.), and ability to simulate dynamic user traffic.
- Development background with ability to review code, write automation scripts, and add instrumentation to microservices for data gathering.
- Performance profiling tools and techniques for services deployed on Unix-like operating systems in the cloud (dtrace, perf, systemtap, tcpdump, etc.).
- Profiling tools for Node.js (node-inspector, Chrome dev tools, heapdump, NSolid).
- Infrastructure automation tools (Ansible, Vagrant, Terraform, Packer).
- Working with non-infrastructure/operations developers, including advising them on how applications can be modified to make them easier to deploy, operate and monitor.
- Writing documentation, runbooks, etc., for operations and infrastructure engineers.
- Working autonomously in a distributed environment and/or with open source communities.
This is a 12 months contract position.
Raising the Floor - US Inc, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable US federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Raising the Floor - US is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment.
Apply for this position
Send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in your email a brief description of how your skills and experience match the requirements listed in this job posting.